Sunday, February 19, 2012

LOVE LOVE LOVE

February 19, 2012

  Before creating this blog I had no writing experience whatsoever, and that I'm sure that shows in the end result.  I tinkered with writing on and off throughout the course of my life, but never dreamed I would actually enjoy it this much, I look very forward to this time of the day when I can let some of the over crowded stuff inside of me out.  I wish the people that read my blog actually knew the extent of how much I appreciate them taking the time to check it out.  Means alot to me. 
  I've often heard that the English language is one of the most difficult langauge's to learn, I don't know that for a fact, since it's the only language I've ever learned.  I believe one of the reasons is that our language has so many synonym's, (example-I SAW a bird---I'm going to SAW a board)  word's that are spelled the same but have different meanings.  To a person who doesn't know our language, I can see that where that would be confusing.  I was never that good in English, except maybe in speaking it, when it comes to the adverbs, verbs, punctuation's and stuff like that, I would pretty well be assured of a C, D or an F. 
  There is one word in our puzzling, difficult language that captivate's my  attention more so than any other word that is not a synonym.  It's a word is that is only spelled one way, but to me has so many, many meanings.  You may have guessed it, maybe not, the word is "LOVE."  I'm only going to capitalize it that one time just to put the extra emphasis on it.  I don't know, maybe you can help me, it may be that "love" doesn't have all that many meanings, maybe it just has different levels, or different degrees of the same meaning, if that's even possible.  To me, there is a difference when I tell my Mother that I "love" her than when I tell my wife that I "love" her.  The "love" I mean for my Mother is a soft, tender, kindhearted, give her a hug type of "love," while the "love" I have for my wife is all of the above but adding a "My God, you're one sexy lady" under tone to it.  I "love" my brother and sisters, but I also "love" my two dogs, same word, but different kind of "love."  I unequivocaly "love" television shows like Forensic Files, but I also "love" my Doctor, same word, but there's no way it can be the same kind of "love." Here's one, I "love" pizza, and I "love" horror flicks, I'll eat the pizza I "love," but I don't like being part of anything that would be real life horror. OHHH, I'm so confused.
  I guess the bottom line of this blog is that "love" is a pretty darn good, sometimes confusing word almost any way that is used, as long as it's in a positive sense.  I "love" tons of stuff, but my family, my friends and my two baby Shih-tzus are the "love's" of my life.  Until tomorrow.  Love.

1 comment:

Moonshadow said...

Here's one for you, George. I LOVE words. Always have, they fascinate me. American English as we know it won't be the same language in a couple hundred years. Why? Because it's living. Meanings of words change, words are created and words die. Any language that is used, changes. This is why Latin is used for medicine, no one speaks it anymore, therefore it does not change.

As to LOVE, Ancient Greek has four distinct words for love: agápe, éros, philía, and storgē.

Here's a couple of links you might enjoy...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_words_for_love

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=love&searchmode=none